Saturday, March 26, 2016

Repair of Lenovo G580

Repair of Lenovo G580

A new program was installed to make the laptop run better only to crash it all together.

It wasn't running that good to begin with, hence the above. Google Chrome would crash, have weird ads popup everywhere, not login to the right gmail account, and make the computer freeze or the WiFi adapter crash.

After running anti Malware, uninstalling a few programs from the program manager window, uninstalling and reinstalling Google Chrome, running Anti-virus Software, the problems still persisted.

When turned on the Lenovo splash screen appears then goes to a black screen with only the mouse cursor. Unable to get to the Windows login screen.

Fix

I looked all over to find a fix for this issue.
Every website I went to said the same thing. After searching and trying things over and over I tried something new.

Here is how I fixed this issue...

I downloaded Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 ISO from the Microsoft Website
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10

I burned the ISO file to a usb flash drive with software I downloaded to make bootable USB drives.
(Have to look it up on my Desktop computer and post the link later.)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I tried booting from the USB, a DVD I burned, and after a few shutdowns and startups it takes you directly to the system repair on the Lenovo splash screen.
I ran the one key recovery option from Lenovo as well. Here you can access the boot menu.
Restored the Previous operating system from the ISO image file.

Didn't work.

I looked at the partitions on my drive and assigned a letter to the operating system volume.
Then I tried the restore operating system option again. After saving my files to USB drive using the command prompt and notepad.exe (View notes below)

Go to go!
I then upgraded to Windows 10 from the Microsoft website.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
Free for all current Windows 7, 8, 8.1 users.


Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please if you have any information that may be useful regarding the issues in this post contact me. - C A Rollins ~ AmbriasInc.com


Notes

Command Prompt Window
X:\System\
This is your recovery temp drive

System File Checker
sfc /scannow

Check Disk
chkdsk c: /r /f /v

Diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image
/RestoreHealth
/ScanHealth

Recimg /showcurrent

To access files

C:
cd \Windows\notepad.exe cbs.log

Use a USB flash drive
Open notepad and from the open file box copy and paste your files from your laptop to your USB flash drive. You may also use a external drive, recommended for large files. I used the USB flash drive and it took me forever.


Volume label Windows8_OS
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Drive Letters
E: DVD
C: Win8_OS
D: Lenovo
G: USB
F: USB
E: USB

Partition     Volume     Drive     Label                   Type     Hidden
#5                Vol 1           C:       Windows8_OS  
#7                Vol 2           D:       LENOVO
#3                Vol 8           /          LRS_ESP             Fat32     Hidden
#1                Vol 3           /          WINRE_DRV                    Hidden
#2                Vol 4           /          SYSTEM_DRV   Fat32     Hidden
#4                    /              no volume associated with this partition
#6                Vol 5           G:                                    NTFS    Hidden     (USB)
#8                Vol 6           /           PBR_DRV                        Hidden

I never found any answers to why so many partitions. Please if you know anything about this I would appreciate it if you could contact me. Thank you. C A Rollins ~ AmbriasInc.com

Errors

System Restore
Error: Local Disk (C;) (System) You must enable protection on this drive

Error Codes
0xe06d007e - 0xf6f45bf8

File \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD     Status 0xc000014c

Tried and Failed

DriverDetective
ReimageRepair
OneKey
Kav_rescue_10
uefi-bootable-usb-281